124% of $10,000 goal
The 10th Annual Virtual 5K for Kolajo, Saturday, September 24th anytime/anywhere.
The College Visions' College Success Program is named in honor of Kolajo Paul Afolabi, who was a volunteer, donor, and Board member at College Visions and who passed away unexpectedly in 2011. Kolajo was a rising star in the academic world, exploring higher education persistence efforts. While Kolajo's academic work predicted a future in shaping large-scale higher education policy, he maintained a strong commitment to impacting his local community. And his research focused on ensuring disadvantaged populations have access to educational opportunity. It was with this spirit that he got involved at College Visions.
It was truly a privilege to count Kolajo as a member of the College Visions family, and we are eternally grateful for his energetic contributions to our organization and our field. His deep knowledge about college access and success and his infectious smile added much to our work. Naming the College Success Program in Kolajo's honor affirms our dedication to promoting college completion, a cause about which he was passionate, knowledgeable, and forward thinking.
For this event, we call on the CV community to walk, run, bike, or stroll with us and make a gift to continue Kolajo's powerful legacy and support the Kolajo Paul Afolabi College Success Program (KSP)! Your gift will provide essential support for first-gen students. And, as we push to reach this big goal, the KSP continues to show outstanding outcomes--92% persisted to their second year of college and our cumulative graduation rate remained steady at 68%! We are so proud that the program named after Kolajo is realizing his vision! Every degree earned by a KSP Scholar is a victory for an individual, a family, and a community. We hope you consider giving today!
Your gift goes to the Emergency Grant Fund!
It is no secret financial hardships pose a huge barrier to degree attainment among first-generation low-income college students. It is one of the main reasons many drop-out or stop-out of college each year. Although a growing number of higher education institutions are establishing emergency aid programs, they're the minority and the funds are limited. The CV Emergency Grant is a powerful resource that enables us to support students with textbooks, tuition, travel expenses, healthcare, and other financial burdens. It demonstrates to our students that we're here for them and committed to their success.
– Full year in the Kolajo Paul Afolabi College Success Program (CSP) for one CV student, including 1-on-1 success coaching, financial aid assistance, care packages, and more.
– Provides support to cover tuition gaps. CV works hard to support students to have affordable options. Sometimes due to decreases in financial aid, job losses, medical expenses, etc. students find themselves unable to cover a tuition balance. Gap funding ensures that they can stay on track!
– Covers a housing deposit. For many students, living in campus housing is a good financial option that also increases their likelihood of earning a degree. Funding housing deposits ensures that students have a stable home.
– Provides an emergency scholarship to help one college student buy a textbook in a time of need. We know that course materials can be a budget buster and that students need access to books and materials in order to thrive academically.
– Provides a grocery gift card or help with essential bills so that students can focus on school.
For more updates visit www.facebook.com/5KforKolajo