71% of $30,000 goal
The Shaker Historical Society museum was located in a Lee Road storefront in the late 1960s before moving into our current location, the Myers Mansion, in 1970.
The Shaker Historical Society was founded in 1947 to preserve and share the history of the North Union Shaker community. In the 75 years since our founding, we have expanded the stories we tell and are continually working toward becoming a community history center that is truly for all. We have spent this milestone anniversary year reflecting on our past and aiming toward a bright future while still adapting to ever-changing pandemic life.
As individuals, we have adjusted to new ways of living, communicating, and working, and the Shaker Historical Society is no different. The way the museum operated only three years ago is no longer possible, and although we have created positive momentum since the pandemic began in March 2020, staff and board turnover, burnout, and difficulty securing funding have taken their toll.
While some aspects of personal life—school, work, vacations, entertainment—have returned to a semblance of normality, small non-profits like us are still experiencing lasting economic hardships with rising operational costs. Frankly, 2022 has been the most challenging pandemic year yet. This is not the first or even second time we have faced a difficult situation, and we know the Shaker Historical Society will survive, as we always do, with the generous support of our community.
We have officially launched our 75th Diamond Year Campaign and asking directly for your help. Our fundraising goal of $30,000 will ensure that:
- Our staff can continue to share history with guests at the museum five days a week
- Our friends and neighbors can join us in the community to learn about our collective history
- Our students and teachers have access to robust educational resources to support learning
- Our collections are cared for and accessible to researchers
- Our staff and board can make certain that the Shaker Historical Society is in a position to sustain our mission and operations going into 2023
We can do this with your support. Please join us in looking ahead to the next 75 years of the Shaker Historical Society and a future of community history for all.