International Red Panda Day 2020
Plant A Red Panda Home!
$3,570 by 8 people
Red Panda Network
Join us on the first-ever virtual International Red Panda Day (IRPD) event on Saturday, September 19th, 2020!
REGISTER YOUR EVENT
FUNDRAISER RESOURCES - Everything you need to start your own IRPD 2020 campaign and help us Plant A Red Panda Home.
BUSINESS SPONSORSHIPS - Thank you to our 2020 sponsors!
5 WAYS YOU CAN CELEBRATE IRPD 2020
This 11th annual day of global education and celebration will feature live chats with red panda experts, zookeepers — with red pandas! — and conservation professionals speaking about their important efforts to save the last of the first panda.
All funds raised will support Red Panda Network's Plant A Red Panda Home initiative.
The global red panda population is in decline. It is estimated that there are less than 10,000 remaining in the wild and there may be as few as 2,500.
Habitat loss is the #1 threat to red pandas.
Red panda habitat in Nepal is fragmented into 400 small forest patches. 70% of their habitat lies outside of protected areas in either Community Forests or private land.
Forests are fragmented as they are converted to farmland and settlement and degraded by unsustainable livestock grazing and resource harvest by local communities.
Our multi-tiered solution to habitat loss is protection and restoration.
Our education and sustainable livelihood programs are empowering communities in Nepal to preserve and protect their forests. Now, we must continue to reforest core habitat, connect fragmented forest and create a wildlife corridor that will sustain a viable red panda population.
We call this initiative...
The core activities of this project are:
- Plantation of native trees: red panda food/shelter species, and non-timber forest products (NTFPs).
- Installation of fencing to protect tree saplings.
- Purchase of land for restoration.
- Creating a wildlife corridor.
Thanks to our incredible donors, we made significant progress for Plant A Red Panda Home in July 2020 in Santapur Community Forest of Ilam district, eastern Nepal.
Since we launched Plant A Red Panda Home in 2019, we have planted 46,311 trees in core habitat that is critical to the survival of red pandas in Nepal!
But we need your help to continue to connect fragmented forest through tree planting and habitat restoration so red pandas and other threatened wildlife can thrive in a continuous biological corridor.
Give today and support the planting of 50,000 trees and reforestation of 50 hectares of core habitat that is critical to the survival of red pandas in Nepal.
We are offering sponsorship opportunities for zoos and businesses where you can offset your carbon footprint by supporting our Plant A Red Panda Home initiative:
We are offering these sponsorship levels for the first-ever virtual IRPD event!
You can offset your carbon footprint with a business sponsorship that allows us to plant 50,000 trees and reforest 50 hectares of core habitat in Nepal.
* Your carbon offset donation will support habitat restoration, reforestation and afforestation programs in red panda range. RPN has not used an international forest carbon standard to verify the amount of emissions reduced from this effort.
Here are five easy ways you can celebrate IRPD 2020 on September 19th, 2020
2. Wish everyone you meet a very “Happy International Red Panda Day!”.
3. Share your favorite red panda image on your social media (with sample posts!).
Red pandas are not related to giant pandas and were discovered 50 years earlier! #theOriginalPanda #FirstPanda #IRPD2020
Red pandas are important indicators of the vibrant forests in the Eastern Himalayas. #SaveTheRedPanda #IRPD2020
Red pandas are the only living member of their taxonomic family. #theOriginalPanda #IRPD2020
Together we can Plant A Red Panda Home and save the last of the first panda! #IRPD2020
4. Host a The Forgotten Panda viewing party. Invite your friends and share this red panda documentary by wildlife filmmaker, photographer, and Red Panda Network board member, Dr. Axel Gebauer.
5. Make a donation and/or set up an IRPD fundraiser (takes minutes, button at top of page).
Mark your calendars! Thank you for joining us on IRPD 2020!