How to get involved in Suicide Prevention Awareness Month
- 💪 Support organizations actively working to prevent suicide: Donate to a verified campaign or start your own fundraiser to benefit a mental health organization near and dear to you.
- 💛 Learn how to talk to your loved one: Research shows that asking someone if they are suicidal does not increase their risk—it actually brings relief and reduces the risk of suicide. From Seize the Awkward to BeThe1To, resources are available to help you navigate these uncomfortable but crucial conversations.
- 🚨 Understand the warning signs: Know the signs of suicidal intent, so you can recognize and support someone in crisis.
- 👋 Volunteer: Train to be a counselor for a mental health or suicide prevention organization like the Crisis Text Line or The Trevor Project.
- 🎒 Share resources: Connect people to resources that can get them the help they need—like the new 988 Crisis Lifeline or TWLOHA's Find Help Tool—or that promote self-care and mental health. Take it a step further by challenging friends and family to do one thing for their mental health every day for the month of September.
- 🌱 Keep it real: Foster open and honest conversations with friends and family about mental health. You can also incorporate self-care activities like doing a puzzle, going for a walk, and making art as a part of your time together.
- 🗣 Become an advocate: Team up with organizations like NAMI and AFSP to find ways to improve mental health legislation at local, state, and federal levels.
- 🥰 Know that your actions matter: Remember that suicide does not exist in a bubble, and even the smallest act to ensure someone feels safe, seen, and accepted is a step toward suicide prevention.
Givebutter puts trust and safety first
When you donate to a Givebutter Verified Fundraiser, you can be confident your contribution is safe, secure, and going toward an organization you can trust.
Givebutter is committed to protecting the privacy and personal information of users. Plus, our Trust & Safety team constantly reviews Givebutter campaigns to ensure there is no fraud, hate, or discrimination on our platform.
Support a Givebutter Verified Fundraiser
Explore organizations actively working to raise awareness, prevent suicide, and promote mental health resources.